ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING/HAZARDOUS WASTES
- Reviewed documents regarding a diesel spill from a transport truck accident near Huttonsville, WV. For MacCorkle Lavender Casey & Sweeney, Charleston, WV, 2002.
- Reviewed documents and visited site of the former Conroe Creosoting Co., Conroe, TX. Created a detailed timeline to document the extensive number of environmental violations at this site. For Rimkus Consulting Group, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Reviewed invoices of costs associated with remedial measures at the Stamina Mills Superfund site, North Smithfield, RI. For Rimkus Consulting Group, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Reviewed groundwater model of Superfund site, Columbus, MS. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Reviewed documents regarding a former dry cleaners facility, Houston, TX. Main issue in legal suit was related to assessing when contaminants were first released from this property. For Rimkus Consulting Group, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Site inspections of Alvin Independent School District's repair facilities for Spill Prevention Program reports, Alvin, TX. For Corrigan Consulting, Inc., Seabrook, TX, 2001.
- Reviewed documents EDC spill at the Conoco/Vista site, LA. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Reviewed documents to evaluate the reasonableness of remediation costs of a chemical spill at the Burlington Northern station, Ft. Worth, TX. Listened to expert witness' testimony. For Rimkus Consulting Group, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Reviewed documents regarding Port of Houston Authority (PHA) lawsuit vs GB Biosciences (GBB). Issue was groundwater transport of organic contaminants across property boundaries. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Reviewed documents to evaluate the reasonableness of remediation costs for a lawsuit of United Technologies Automotive Systems, Inc. vs Affiliated FM Insurance Company, Union City, IN. For Rimkus Consulting Group, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Reviewed documents regarding MTBE class action lawsuit. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 2001.
- Pump test analysis and particle tracking modeling at Lubrizol site, Houston, TX. For Corrigan Consulting, Inc., Seabrook, TX, 1999-2001.
- Review of SWIFT model in McFaddin vs DuPont lawsuit, Beaumont, TX. Interacted with Duke Engineering, Austin, TX and David Ward, VA. Also attended and reviewed in detail Dr. Mercer's model presented in his deposition. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1999-2001.
- Review of deep well injection model of former Chemical Waste Management, Inc. site (Benavides vs CWMI) in Corpus Christi, TX. Part of No-Migration Petition study. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 2000.
- Review of background information for Tampa Bypass Canal project, Tampa, FL. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1999.
- Review of Rice and Papadopoulos & Associates' model of the North Indian Bend Wash (NIBW) Superfund site, Phoenix, AZ. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1999.
- Review of model of PPG's South Terminal Area, Lake Charles, LA. For P.B. Bedient, Rice University, Houston, TX, 1999.
- Made a series of calculations to determine conditions under which a pond liner could have been lifted off the bottom of a large brine pond at Enterprise Products Co., Mt. Belvieu, TX. For Ground Water Science Consultants, Inc., The Woodlands, TX, 1999.
- Reviewed contaminant transport rate calculations of a gasoline spill in Evansville, IN. For M.D. Campbell and Associates, Houston, TX, 1999.
- Modeled effects of pumping, leakage, and slurry wall at Geneva Superfund Site, Houston, TX. Used the TWODAN model and wrote a lumped parameter model for the analysis. Concluded that slurry wall was leaky. For Corrigan Consulting, Inc., Seabrook, TX, 1998.
- Modeled contaminant transport for four chemicals and three scenarios at Higgings Creosote site, Lufkin, TX. For Quest Consulting, Houston, TX, 1998.
- Groundwater flow and particle tracking modeling of various contaminants at PPG site, Beaumont, TX. Used the TWODAN model, submitted it to the TNRCC and was accepted without comments. For Enviroplex, a division of Coleman Research Corp., Houston, TX, 1998.
- Data review and site visit of Caldwell Trucking Superfund site, Fairfield Township, Essex County, NJ. Spaulding Composites, one of the companies that disposed of material at this landfill only contributed inorganic lead (Pb). Study was to allocate
the portion of the remedial responsibility associated with this one party; submitted for Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) process. For Enviroplex, a division of Coleman Research Corp., Houston, TX, 1997.
- Numerical modeling and review of Tucson International Airport groundwater contamination, Tucson, AZ. The major issues were regarding the origin and timing of solvent contamination and comparison of three experts' modeling efforts. For Rice University, Houston, TX, 1997.
- Risk analysis of Sunset Depot site, San Antonio, TX. For Professional Service Industries, Inc. (PSI), Houston/San Antonio, TX, 1996.
- Analytical modeling of benzene plume at a natural gas pipeline station, Longview, TX. For Entrix, Houston, TX, 1996.
- Data analysis, interpretation and analytical groundwater modeling of Sunset Depot site, San Antonio, TX. For Professional Service Industries, Inc. (PSI), Houston, TX, 1995.
- Wrote preliminary MODFLOW model of Department of Energy site, TX. Also reviewed the extensive data set from the site, and presented and discussed various groundwater concepts and the interaction with other state-of-the-art models being developed.
For Coleman Research Corp., Columbia, MD and Houston, TX, 1994.
- Reviewed and discussed information about a mineral oil spill at Reichhold Chemicals, Rockport, NJ. For Rimkus Consulting Group, Houston, TX, 1994.
- Analytical contaminant transport and capture zone models of Ionia Landfill site in Ionia, MI, for The Earth Technology Corp., Houston, TX, 1989 and 1994.
- Reviewed and wrote series of analytical models for the Sikes Superfund site, Liberty County, TX. Twenty four runs involving loading and remediation were made (i.e., 2 contaminants, 2 different areas, 3 cleanup levels, and 2 hydraulic conductivities). For Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc., Houston, TX, 1993.
- Groundwater and particle transport models of DOW's A16/A22 areas, Freeport, TX. The model consisted of two layers. Several clean-up and containment strategies were evaluated. The MODFLOW/MODPATH models under PM were used. For McBride-Ratcliff and Associates, Houston, TX, 1993.
- Site visit to evaluate potential sources of contamination adjacent to site of interest, Houston, TX. For The Earth Technology Corp., Brookfield, WI, 1993.
- Allocation of responsibility study at a former creosoting site in Ft. Collins, CO. Site had two plumes and two compounds of interest (pentachlorophenol and naphthalene). For Rimkus Consulting Group, Houston, TX, 1993.
- Capture zone analysis and final report review for confidential site in Silvis, IL. For The Earth Technology Corp., Brookfield, WI, 1991 and 1993.
- Risk assessment study from a tanker truck spill accident scene, I-25, NM. For Adams Stevens Associates, Houston, TX, 1992.
- Drew detailed 3D figure of truck and associated hoses from where a spill had occurred. For Adams Stevens Associates, Houston, TX, 1992.
- Generated geologic, hydrologic, and HNu maps and cross-sections of fuel transfer station with a history of spills, Lowville, NY. For Adams Stevens Associates, Houston, TX, 1992.
- Benchmarking studies of groundwater flow and transport models. Models reviewed included Theis, MODFLOW, FEWA , LEMA, FEMWATER, 3DFEMWATER, LEWASTE, MOC, SUTRA, ANAHYD, TDAST, HPS, Wilson & Miller, HST3D, BIOPLUME II, QuickFlow, and CML. Also used Surfer and Mathematica to present results. For Exxon Production Research, Houston, TX 1991-1992.
- Partition coefficient calculations for Mebane, NC site. For The Earth Technology Corp., Houston, TX, 1991.
- Reviewed information and report of petroleum hydrocarbon spill at HSW Haulers/Agway spill site, Lowville, NY. For Adams Stevens Associates, Houston, TX, 1991.
- Wrote Remedial Action Plan for Chevron gasoline station site. For HVJ Associates, Inc., Houston, TX, 1991.
- Data review including geology, hydrology, chemical, history and survey data. Summarized all data in tables and figures. Wrote field procedures and performed site investigation including drilling, soil and water sampling. Wrote report including fig
ures and calculations. For confidential site contaminated with gasoline, Coats, NC. For Adams Stevens Associates, Houston, TX, 1991.
- Assisted field team in confidential gasoline contamination site investigation in Brazoria, TX. For Corrigan Consulting, Inc., Seabrook, TX, 1991.
- Review and comments of proposed remedial alternative components for Hunts Disposal Landfill Site, Caledonia, WI. For The Earth Technology Corp., Brookfield, WI, 1990.
- Analytical modeling (ODAST) of Mebane, NC site to predict location of tail of plume. Very limited data was available; later the location was confirmed by TETC. For The Earth Technology Corp., Houston, TX, 1990.
- Review of report and SESOIL modeling of PetroChem Superfund site in Liberty County, TX. Also made flow to recovery trench calculations, sensitivity runs, and wrote report. For Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc., Houston, TX, 1990.
- Conducted field investigation, drew figures, and wrote reports of confidential site contaminated with metals and solvents in East Texas. For Rimkus Consulting Group, Houston, TX, 1991.
- Reviewed gasoline accident spill reports, wrote work plan, and conducted field investigation and sampling of confidential NC site. For Rimkus Consulting Group and Adams Stevens Associates, Houston, TX, 1990-1991.
- Capture zone analysis for RI/FS of Missouri Electric Works site, Cape Girardeau, MO. For The Earth Technology Corp., Houston, TX, 1990.
- Used Monte Carlo transport model to simulate a site in Salt lake City, Utah, for Entrix, Houston, TX, 1990.
- Modeled trench at Chemical Waste Management Facility in Pt. Arthur, TX using MODFLOW. Also partially set up several other trenches and trained an assistant. For Woodward-Clyde Consultants, Houston, TX, 1990.
- Analyzed contaminant data from a confidential site in Louisiana. Developed a chemical indicator to separate the contribution from two most likely source areas of contamination. Study was performed for Ground-Water Science Consultants, Inc., The Woodlands, TX, 1989-1990.
- Made analytical Monte Carlo contaminant transport runs using modified ODAST model for confidential Houston area refinery, for Entrix, Houston, TX, 1989-1990.
- Numerical flow modeling using PLASM of confidential contaminated site in Indiana, for Entrix, Houston, 1989. Model included slurry wall and recovery wells.
- Capture zone analysis of MDSL Superfund site in Wisconsin. Also answered comments from EPA review of analysis. For The Earth Technology Corp., Houston, TX, 1989-1990.
- Performed a terrain conductivity survey and implemented a drilling program at two Houston METRO sites to locate possible additional underground tanks and to determine extent of contamination. For SSCI, Houston, TX, 1989.
- Reviewed literature on state-of-the-art non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPLs) and available models, made test runs with an available model (ARMOS), and reviewed material on wastes from petroleum exploration and production activities. For Exxon Product
ion Research, Houston, TX, 1989.
- Modeled flow and contaminant transport for the MOTCO Superfund hazardous waste site, La Marque, TX. Work on this complex site included writing part of the work plan and operating procedures for modeling and pump test, coordinated technical aspects
of pump test, helped with database coding for information management, conducted various library searches, designed and conducted most of the modeling of the MOTCO site, generated various interim reports and graphics, was actively involved in numerous mee
tings with client, regulators, and other consultants. For Woodward-Clyde Consultants, Houston, TX, 1987-1989.
- Supervised modeling methodology (including flow, horizontal and vertical transport) of deep well injection site in the Gulf Coast of TX, for Texas World operations, Inc., (TWO) and P.B. Bedient and Associates, Inc., Houston, TX, 1987.
- Analytical contaminant modeling (using VHS, ODAST, and TDAST models) on site in MA, for BALSAM Environmental Consultants, Inc., Salem, NH, 1987.
- Performed CERCLA I, Level I, investigation of a landfill site in Oklahoma City, OK. The study included visual inspection of the site, water level measurements, a terrain conductivity survey, and a review of the local geology. The study was perform
ed for the landfill operator by Woodward-Clyde Consultants, Houston, TX, 1987.
- Statistical analysis of PNA data from Brio Superfund hazardous waste site, TX, 1987.
- Modeled the migration of benzene using an analytical model with graphical output at the French Ltd. Superfund hazardous waste site in northeast Harris County, TX, for Harding Lawson Associates, Houston, TX, 1987.
- Performed two studies for the American Petroleum Institute (API) to evaluate the EPASMOD model proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to be used nationally for the control of hazardous wastes. The first study was to review the overa
ll concept of the model and its usefulness. The second study was a parameter sensitivity analysis, 1986.
- Assisted Ground-Water Science and Engineering, Inc., Houston, TX, with getting their USGS contaminant transport model up and running, including modifications for output of graphics files, 1986.
- Study of groundwater contamination by electronic components firm in Albuquerque, NM, for Harding Lawson Associates, Houston, TX. Emphasis was on flow and contaminant transport modeling, 1986.
- Feasibility Study (FS) for the Conroe, TX, creosoting hazardous waste Superfund site, for Roy F. Weston, Houston, TX. Used the USGS solute transport model to simulate the various clean-up alternatives, 1986.
- Hydrologic measurements including groundwater flow rate (using KV meter) at former Champlin Petroleum refinery in Enid, OK. Also installed new wells, conducted pump test, sampled waste sludge and groundwater, investigated apparent groundwater moun
d at site, and coordinated report writing, for Woodward-Clyde Consultants, Houston, TX, 1984-1985.
- Landfill permit application (Part II) for waste disposal company in Lake Charles, LA, 1984; application (Part B) for waste disposal company in Port Arthur, TX, using the USGS solute transport model, 1984; and application (Part B) for proposed site
near the Houston Ship Channel, 1984.
- Collected hydrogeologic and chemical data as evidence to be used in a lawsuit case near a Superfund hazardous waste site in TX, 1984.
- Analysis and transport estimates of carbon tetrachloride and chloroform contamination at chemical company site in Harris County, TX, 1984.
- Study to delineate the hydrogeology and extent of contamination from a former waste lake with organic and metal wastes. North side of chemical company in Delaware City, DE, 1984.
- Installation and sampling of additional wells, aquifer tests, surface and borehole geophysics, at the MOTCO Superfund hazardous waste site in La Marque, TX, 1983.
- Analysis and analytical modeling of chromium contamination migration in limestone aquifer, Castle Hayne, NC, 1983.
- Analysis of existing hydrogeologic and chemical data of chemical company in Delaware City, DE, 1983.
- Random Walk groundwater transport model used to simulate organic contamination at chemical plant in Harris County, TX, 1983.
- Remedial Investigation (RI) of BioEcology Superfund hazardous waste site in Grand Prairie, TX. Field work included resistivity and terrain conductivity survey, air monitoring, and sampling of surface soils, borings, surface water, and groundwater,
slug tests, and preliminary data analysis. Wrote major portions of report, 1983.
- Large project involving surface resistivity, terrain conductivity, borehole electric, gamma, and neutron geophysical logging of a hazardous waste site, for a private chemical company in Texas City, TX. Other tasks included hydrologic measurements,
visual contaminant survey, literature review of regional geology, data analysis, and report writing, 1982.
- Major field sampling effort of MOTCO Superfund hazardous waste site for the TDWR and the EPA, in La Marque, TX. Tasks included installation of several monitoring wells, sampling of soils, surface water, groundwater and waste pits, well development
, and air monitoring. Other concerns included safety and project documentation. Follow-up samples were also collected, 1981-1982.
- Groundwater simulation (using GWSIM-II Prickett-Lonnquist model modified by the TDWR and by Rice University) of organic contaminant transport at rapid infiltration pond system in Ft. Devens, MA, 1980-1981.